The 1st Regiment U.S. Artillery was formed June 1, 1821 and Battery “K” was added in August of 1838. Battery “K” took part in the Mexican War, where Stonewall Jackson saw service with Battery “K”.
For the next few years, Battery “K” served in the east and southwest. When the War Between the States broke out, Battery “K” was at Fort Taylor, FL. Battery “K” was sent north where they would soon become a Horse (mounted) Artillery Unit. They would see service in many places, including 2nd Bull Run, Antietam, Brandy Station, Gettysburg, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, Reams Station and Cedar Creek, to name a few.
After the Civil War, Battery “K” went to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas where they took part in the Indian Wars and the Spanish American War. Battery “K” and the 1st U.S. Artillery has been changed to the 1st Field Artillery and have served their Country to this day.
The 1st U.S. Artillery Battery “K” was formed as an N-SSA Unit in the Fall of 1971, and stood their inspection at the 45th Nationals. The Unit has not missed a National skirmish since that date. As of this date, the team is a healthy, active unit shooting musket, carbine, smoothbore and mortar in team competition. We are very proud of our past record in both history and the N-SSA.